Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Lazy Dayz of Summer

As promised I have my beloved grandmothers' recipe for our family favorite Lazy Dazy Cake.  My mom said some people call this scalded milk cake but grandma always called it Lazy Dazy Cake.  Mom never could remember if there was a reason why she called it that or if it was a made up grandma word.  Believe me grandma had a lot of made up words that to this day us grandkids fondly remember.  It is tradition in our family to bring out this recipe this time of year.  There is something about the combination of the vanilla flavored cake, brown sugar glaze and fresh peaches that just melts in your mouth. 

I am not sure how grandma and mom would feel about me sharing their recipes to the blog world but I figure if Paula Deen can share all her family recipes we can too.

Grandma Volle's Lazy Dazy Cake:

2 beaten eggs
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
 Stir these together until mixed


 Sift 
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
Add to above and mix together until smooth 


 Heat
1/2 cup milk
2 tbsp butter
Simmer just until starting to boil, pour into above and mix until smooth


Pour into a greased and floured loaf pan and bake @350* for about 30-40 minutes.  I never time it, I just take it out when the middle springs back to the touch.

Icing/Glaze (we always double this for extra goodness)

5  tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp butter
2 tbsp milk


Let simmer/low boil for 3-4 minutes, stirring.  Set pan in cold water and stir to cool down.  Will thicken a little.  Pour over cake.  It will absorb into the cake.

Serve with fresh sliced slightly sweetened peaches.  Pure summertime goodness!

Hope you enjoy! 





2 comments: