Friday, July 27, 2012

Lamp Shade Bird Feeder

Today's post is going to be short and sweet.  I am going to two estate sales.  I was going through some storage tubs sorting items to take to my new booth at The Gaslamp Antique Mall in Nashville.  I came across some gorgeous glass lamp shades I have had forever.  My brother and I started brainstorming what to do with them, when I remembered seeing some made into a hanging bird feeder.  So, off to Lowes we went to get all the necessary parts.




Here's what we came up with, all it took was six eye hook screws, six washers, six acorn nuts, some chain and two clip hangers.  The whole project took less that 15 minutes.  You can also see my wisteria climbing around the fence, reaching all the way to the shepherd's hook.  I just planted it this year, I can't wait until next year when it starts blooming.  It was a cutting from my mom's huge wisteria.



Luckily, I had the type of glass shades that had three holes for attaching to the ceiling fixture. We put an eye hook screws through each hole. We measured the chain into three equal lengths, put the chain through the eye hook, gathered them together onto the hanging clip.



You can see here where we attached the acorn nut to the end of the eye hook screws.



Unfortunately, whatever attracts birds also attracts Gracie Kat.  I have never seen her hurt a bird, I think she just acts mean but is really a big softie.  She has to keep up her image you know. 



About the only plants thriving around here with the heat is the moss rose and the petunias.  My mom loved both of these.  She said they just bloom their little butts off.


No comments:

Post a Comment