Thursday, July 26, 2012

Candlestick Table Had A Mind of It's Own

Have you ever had a piece of furniture tell you how it wanted to be restored?  I know, sounds nuts doesn't it?  Well I had just such an experience with this little candlestick table I have had in storage for years.  I think it had been passed around the family before I ended up with it.  


 Here it is before I started working on it.  I had decided to paint it with some ASCP, wax it and distress it.  Then stencil No. 3 on it representing the 3 people in our family.  Well the top was wobbly and it looked like someone had scraped off a few layers of paint and then painted over it without sanding.  So I decided to take the top of and give it a really good sanding trying to even out the worst of the previous paint jobs.  I know ASCP is very leveling but this was really bad.  I repaired the wobble and started sanding it. 


As I was sanding a funny thing happened, I was starting to like the look of the layers of paint.  The top layer was a light beige, the next layer was light blue, the next yellow ochre, then white.  When I finished sanding/distressing it I knew I couldn't bring myself to paint over it.  I started thinking about how it really represented all our family members and their decorating styles thru the years.  So I just waxed it and considered it finished.  It now displays beach items from our last trip to Florida with my mom in a corner of my guest bathroom. 



 
I had some leftover shells, fans and starfish so I decided to create a framed arrangement to hang over the toilet.  I can't take credit for this idea I saw it in a magazine.  I can't remember which one or I would credit them.  I remembered they hung an old glassless frame and then made an arrangement of items, which they attached directly to the wall.  I used those scrap booking dots.



I think it turned out really nice.  


No comments:

Post a Comment