Monday, July 30, 2012

Barnwood Console Table

As I mentioned in a previous post my brother and I had several projects going at one time.  One of those projects that I was most excited about was a barn wood console table.

 I had pinned the inspiration tables which you can see here:  Restoration Hardware Balustrade Salvaged Wood Console Table and here Horchow Jameson Console.

First I knew I did not want my console table as large as the inspiration tables.  We decided on the dimensions of 4ft. long x 1ft. wide x 30in. tall.  I then picked out the pieces of barn wood that had the best combination of weathering.  Once all that was decided my brother went to work framing.  He soon realized barn wood is not the easiest wood to work with.  



I had a box of posts left over from a porch project we did a few years ago.  I thought they would bring the perfect combination of rustic elegance to this table.




Sorry there are not any pictures of the top construction.  He got so involved trying to piece barn wood together into a level surface he forgot to stop and take pictures along the way. (That or he didn't want to)  During this phase of the construction, I sort of made myself scarce.  There was a lot of trial and error going on trying to get the top the exact way he wanted it.  I did not want to bear the brunt of his frustrations.  Finally after a whole afternoon and the next morning he finally got it to his satisfaction.





 I couldn't have been more thrilled with the final results.  It was way better than I expected.  Thanks, Wes.  I thought I would like the two tone effect of the three cross pieces of wood on the top and the posts compared to the barn wood, but I decided I wanted a more even tone.  So I decided to try the weathering concoction I had pinned of coffee grounds, steel wool and vinegar.  You can read about it here:  DIY Vintage Wood Stain courtesy of Home Heart Craft



 


The finished product weathered and merchandised.  I absolutely love how it turned out.  I am so excited to take it to my booth at the Gas Lamp Antiques and Decorating Mall in Nashville on Wednesday when I get to start setting up.



Join the Party @

2 comments:

  1. Kristal this is an amazing table! When your tired of it bring it to my house!;) Thanx for partying lady!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and your welcome. This is definitely one that will be hard to part with.
      Kristal

      Delete