Monday, July 23, 2012

Cool Retro Cocktail/Sideboard Refurbish

Good Monday Morning everyone!  I have been absent for a week working on projects.  It was one of those weeks where the creative juices were flowing.  Well that and my brother was visiting so I took advantage of his help and talent.  As long as I keep feeding him he keeps working.  We actually had seven projects going at one time.  You know how it goes, you start a project and have to wait for glue/paint/tung oil to dry, and while it is drying you start another project and so on.  Our first project was a Beautility Bar Sideboard that I wanted out of the garage. We both just stood back and looked at it for a few minutes before we could make ourselves dig in.  It was a major overhaul, take a look at the pictures and judge for yourself.
  

Way retro cool.  Very Mad Men.  This really isn't my style of furniture but when Mr. R saw it at an auction he had to have it.  I had to admit the wood craftsmanship was amazing.  But it had it's problems............


Here the veneer is peeling.............


Here the varnish is bubbled up................


Here watermarks and scratches..................


 First came the stripping and sanding...........


More stripping and sanding.....  Notice the absolutely incredible wood grain on the doors.


Sanding all those doors, nooks and crannies are a pain in the neck/back/hands, you name it we hurt all over.

 After 5 days working out in the hot garage here is the final product.  We were just blown away by how the wood grain really popped when the finish was applied.

 


There is something so satisfying about preserving a great piece of craftsmanship.  I want to give a big thank you to my brother.  He made the project fun and not a chore.  Now to sell it and pay him in something other than food.







Join Me At These Parties

3 comments:

  1. That is beautiful, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is great. I am hosting a Giveaway to win a 50 dollar gift card to the store HomeGoods. It would be great if you stopped by and entered. Thanks Anu

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just purchased this exact sideboard. It is in terrible condition. I hope with a lot of work, it will turn out as beautiful as yours!!

    ReplyDelete