Thursday, August 2, 2012

Metal Urn Lamp

Last week at my local goodwill store I came across this gorgeous metal urn lamp.  It was painted an awful yellow with gold details.  It was dinged, chipped and the cord was frayed.  Sorry, I don't have any before pictures, because my brother itching to do something one morning started stripping it.  He stripped it down to the bare metal, sanded it, and replaced the cord all before I knew what was happening.  His hands are never idle for very long.  I knew at this point I needed to be quick with the camera when he was around.  Here are the pictures after I sprayed it with primer and zinc paint.




Now comes the hard part and elbow grease.  I rubbed and rubbed with steel wool until I took the zinc paint off down to the primer, distressing it and making it look worn.



 Here is the close-up of the scroll detailed handles.


 Here is the pedestal base.



Of course I couldn't wait to start merchandising it.  I had the perfect French shade for it.  I knew it would look beautiful on the barn wood console table we had just completed. You can read about it here:  Barnwood Console Table




I absolutely love how it turned out.  The patina makes it look like it has been handed down through generations and well loved.




Join The Party @

No comments:

Post a Comment